State Bar of Nevada Certified Family Law Specialist
As a native Las Vegan, Mr. Fleeman has lifelong ties to our community. After graduating with his bachelor’s degree from the UNLV Honors College, Mr. Fleeman worked for several years at a local ambulance company as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and as an American Heart Association certified CPR and First Aid Instructor. While working as an EMT, Mr. Fleeman attended the William S. Boyd School of Law where he earned several academic awards and graduated in the top 10% of his class.
Since 2007, Mr. Fleeman’s practice has focused almost exclusively on family law, and he was certified as a State Bar of Nevada Family Law Specialist in 2016. Mr. Fleeman has counseled clients through hundreds of divorce, child custody, support, relocation, adoption, and termination of parental rights hearings in front of our local judges. Mr. Fleeman is an active member of the State Bar of Nevada, Family Law Section, an Associate Editor of the Communiqué (the Official Clark County Bar Association Publication), sits on the Southern Nevada panels of the State Bar Attorney Discipline and Fee Dispute Committees, and has taught family law issues to non-family law attorneys through the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada. In his free time, Mr. Fleeman enjoys spending time with his wife and children, traveling, and helping coach Little League Baseball.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Out of State Relocation with Children
- Termination of Parental Rights
- Juvenile – Abuse and Neglect
- Domestic Violence
- Violations of Protective Orders
- Personal Injury
- Misdemeanor Criminal Violations
- William S. Boyd School of Law, Las Vegas, Nevada J.D., 2007, Magna Cum Laude
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas B.A., Political Science, 1999, with University Honors
- Child Support Hearing Master, pro tempore Eighth Judicial District Court, Family Division Las Vegas, Nevada
- Discovery Hearing Master, pro tempore Eighth Judicial District Court, Family Division Las Vegas, Nevada
- Parenting Coordinator, Eighth Judicial District Court Las Vegas, Nevada
- Howard D. McKibben Inn of the Court, Barrister
- Member, State of Nevada Committee to Study Child Custody and Propose Legislative Reform, 2017 to 2018.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- State Bar of Nevada Certified Family Law Specialist
- Super Lawyers 2016 Mountain States Rising Star, Family Law
- Circle of Support Award, Clark County Bar Association Publications Committee Member of the Year, 2015
- William S. Boyd School of Law, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Top Grade Award (CALI) – Legal Processes I (legal research and writing)
- Top Grade Award (CALI) – Legal Processes III (legal drafting)
- Top Grade Award (CALI) – Property I
- Top Grade Award (CALI) – Property II
- Academic Merit Scholarship
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Dean’s List John & Mitizi Hughes Honors College Scholarship
- Pi Sigma Alpha Political Honor Society
- Bluecoats Academic Scholarship
- Sylvan Century III Leaders Scholarship
- Liberal Arts College Academic Scholarship
- Rotary Club 4-Way Speech Scholarship
- Nevada Boys State, 1994
- Nevada Supreme Court / Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Pro Bono Appeal Project Attorney, 2014 to 2015
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Children’s Advocacy Project Attorney, 2008 to Present
- Eighth Judicial District Specialty Courts, Clark County, Nevada, Truancy Diversion Judge – Legacy High School, 2011 to 2013
- Eighth Judicial District Court, Clark County, Nevada, Guardian Ad Litem, 2006 to 2008
- State Courts of Nevada, 2007
- U.S. District Court of Nevada, 2009
MEMBERSHIPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ACTIVITIES
- State Bar of Nevada, Family Law Section
- State Bar of Nevada, Southern Disciplinary Panel
- State Bar of Nevada, Fee Dispute Committee
- Clark County Bar Association
- Clark County Bar Association, Publications Committee Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Associate Editor, Communiqué, the Official Publication of the Clark County Bar Association
- UNLV Alumni Association, Boyd School of Law Chapter, Lifetime Member
- Presenter, Spousal Support and Attorneys Fees, a Continuing Legal Education seminar sponsored by the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
- Fleeman, J., “Five Things Attorneys Should Know About Family Law,“ Communiqué, the official publication of the Clark County Bar Association, January 2016,
- Fleeman, J., “Recent Changes in Child Custody Law: Dimming the Bright Line Rule for “Physical Custody” Designations in Nevada,” Communiqué, the official publication of the Clark County Bar Association, June/July 2015, republished in the Nevada Family Law Review (NFLR), Summer 2015, Vol. 28, Issue 2,
- Fleeman, J. “5 Things Every Lawyer Should Know About Discovery in Family Law Cases,” Communiqué, the official publication of the Clark County Bar Association, January 2015.
- Fleeman, J., “Does Nevada Have Jurisdiction Over Your Custody Case?” AVVO Legal Guide, September 5, 2014.
- Fleeman, J., “Spousal Support & Attorney’s Fees,” Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, August 22, 2014.
- Nguyen v. Boynes, 133 Nev. Adv. Op. 32, 396 P.3d 774 (2017).
- Miller v. Miller, 134 Nev. Adv. Op. 16, ___ P.3d ____ (March 15, 2018).