Shann D. Winesett represents clients in all forms of domestic relations matters, including divorce, complex custody disputes, relocation litigation, paternity, adoptions, post-divorce modifications of custody, visitation, child support and alimony, guardianships, personal injury and business litigation. Mr. Winesett also represents a wide variety of business clients in disputes ranging from real estate and lease transactions, to administrative proceedings, to unfair business practices, to surety and bond litigation. Mr. Winesett also has experience litigating toxic tort, complex personal injury and medical malpractice cases. Mr. Winesett completed his undergraduate studies locally at the University of Nevada Las Vegas where he graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in English literature in 1988. After completing his undergraduate studies, Mr. Winesett spent two years in Germany studying philosophy and law at the Ludwig-Maximilians University in Munich. Mr. Winesett returned to the United States in 1990 to attend Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, California, where he earned his juris doctor degree in 1993. Mr. Winesett successfully completed the American Bar Association’s Family Advocacy Institute in 1998. After graduating from law school, Mr. Winesett practiced law in Los Angeles with the national law firm, Robins Kaplan Miller & Ciresi, until returning to Las Vegas with his family in 1997. While primarily practicing in Nevada, Mr. Winesett maintains his license to practice law in California. Mr. Winesett is also a member of the Clark County Bar Association and is admitted to the United States Supreme Court, United States District Court for the Districts of Nevada and Central California. In the years 2001, 2004, and 2005, Mr. Winesett received commendations from the United States Congress for his service to the community. In 2004, Mr. Winesett also received the Clark County Legal Service’s Louis Wiener Award for his representation of victims of domestic violence. Mr. Winesett is a contributing editor to the Nevada Family Law Practice Manual and is a member of the State Bar of Nevada’s fee dispute and attorney disciplinary committees.
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California Juris Doctor: 1993
- Ludwig-Maximilians Universität, Munich, Germany Post Graduate Study in Philosophy and German Law: 1990
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas Bachelor of Arts, English Literature: 1988 Magna Cum Laude
- Bruce I. Shapiro, LTD. / Pecos Law Group Henderson, Nevada July 2006 to Present Practice Focus: business litigation, domestic relations
- Smith Larsen & Wixom Las Vegas, Nevada September 2004 to July 2006 Practice Focus: banking law, commercial paper, business litigation
- Dickerson Dickerson Consul & Pocker Las Vegas, Nevada May 1997 to September 2004 Practice Focus: domestic relations, business litigation
- Robins Kaplan Miller & Ciresi (previously Simke Chodos Silberfeld & Anteau) Los Angeles, California June 1991 to May 1997 Practice focus: toxic torts, medical malpractice
- 2003 United States Supreme Court.
- 1997 United States District Court, Nevada.
- 1994 State Courts of Nevada.
- 1993 State Courts of California.
- 1993 United States District Court, Central District of California.
- The Hague Convention: An Outline Summary, Advanced Family Law Strategies (State Bar of Nevada, Dec. 4, 2014).
- Contempt Proceedings in Nevada Family Courts, Advanced Family Law (National Business Institute, 2012)
- Filing for Divorce and Preliminary Matters, Divorce Law Guide from A to Z (National Business Institute, 2012)
- A Positive Approach to Negative Equity, Advanced Family Law Strategies (State Bar of Nevada, Dec. 2, 2009).
- Update author of “Premarital Agreement” and “Annulment” sections of the Nevada Family Law Practice Manual (2d Edition 2008).
- Primary Confusion of Risk: The Continuing Saga of Duty Analysis after Knight v. Jewett, 23 Advocate 10 (1996).
- Fluent in German.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS, APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- Clark County Family Court Approved Parenting Coordinator, 2016 to present.
- Mountain View Lutheran Church and School, Board of Directors, 2015 to present.
- Southern Nevada Lacrosse Association, High School League Commissioner and Executive Board Member, 2013 to present.
- Special Recognition from Supreme Court of Nevada, Foreclosure Mediation Program, 2012.
- Clark County Child Support Court Pro Tem Hearing Master 2012 to present.
- Clark County Domestic Violence Pro Tem Hearing Master, Appointed 2011.
- Clark County Adult Guardianship Pro Tem Hearing Master, Appointed 2011.
- Clark County Truancy Diversion Program, Judge, 2011 to 2013.
- Mountain View Lutheran Church and School, Counsel to Board of Directors, 2011 to present.
- Supreme Court of State of Nevada, Foreclosure Mediator, 2010 to present.
- State Bar of Nevada, Disciplinary Committee, 2008 to present.
- State Bar of Nevada, Fee Dispute Committee, 2007 to 2013.
- Commendations from United States Congress for Service to the Community, 2001, 2004, and 2005.
- Recipient of the Clark County Legal Service’s Louis Wiener Award for Assisting Victims of Domestic Violence, 2004.
- American Bar Association, certified participant Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute, May 1998.
- State Bar of Nevada, Family Law Section, 1997 to present.
- Clark County Bar Association, 1997 to present.
- California Trial Lawyers Association, 1993 to 1997.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, 1993 to 1997.
- Ethical Considerations in Divorce Settlements / Financial Divorce Settlements from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, Las Vegas, Nevada, February 20, 2015.
- Policies and Procedures of the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction, at Advanced Family Law Strategies, State Bar of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada, December 4, 2014.
- Contempt Proceedings in Nevada Family Courts / Advanced Family Law Seminar, National Business Institute, Las Vegas, Nevada, November 13, 2012.
- Filing for Divorce and Pretrial Motions / Valuing Assets and Dividing Community Property, Divorce Law Guide from A to Z, National Business Institute, Las Vegas, Nevada, March 3, 2012.
- Disposition of Negative Valued Assets in Divorce, at Advanced Family Law Strategies, State Bar of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada, December 2, 2009.